centralised in the organisation. We have 5 faculties that have their
own IT Services department (IT infrustuctures, IT budgets, etc) and
rest by the IT department.(Don't ask me why the structure is like
this - this is a historical problem with this organisation). Each of
those faculties had purchased their own licenses of SPS but have not
implemented them in production mode yet. My job as one of the
project coordinators is to bring these SPSs together in a single
seamless portal implementation but technical administrations will
still be with the IT services departments.

I will appreciate any advice given or point me to any relevant

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Benjamin Wright     Answered On: Feb 08

Internally, Microsoft has a similar situation with several business divisions as well as hundreds of subsidiary offices around the world. They're currently managing several hundred portal  sites and 10,000s of team sites.

For more details, checkout the Microsoft IT Showcase white paper "Microsoft Web Enterprise Portal" (www.microsoft.com/.../MSWebTWP.mspx) as well as the related "Deploying SharePoint Portal Servers 2003 Shared Services at Microsoft" MS IT Showcase white paper (www.microsoft.com/.../sharetwp.mspx).

If you have any questions regarding these, email me. As well, I'm going to be presenting the Shared Services talk at the Microsoft TechEd 2003 conference on Thursday afternoon, May 27th, in San Diego and discussing Microsoft Web as a specific case study.

Answer #2    Answered By: Lamar Mullins     Answered On: Feb 08

My May 27th Shared Services presentation is one of the regular MS TechEd 2004 conference breakout session talks and I'm quite certain that MS is not broadcasting these talks from the conference. Click here to register for the conference: http://www.microsoft.com/teched.

However, I have also been asked to present my Shared Services talk on June 9 as an MS TechNet webcast. Click here to register for this webcast: msevents.microsoft.com/.../EventDetail.aspx

Lastly, I wrote a couple white papers that documents how Microsoft deployed SharePoint portal  Server 2003 and Shared Services to support their internal intranet and portal architecture. Checkout www.microsoft.com/.../sharetwp.mspx and the companion white paper www.microsoft.com/.../MSWebTWP.mspx.

Answer #3    Answered By: Stefan Mcbride     Answered On: Feb 08

I will also be in the TechEd Ask-The-Experts Thursday afternoon from 1pm until ~3:00 when I'm presenting the SharePoint Shared Services talk (and at 5pm, the SharePoint Migration talk).

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Sharepoint Architecture Or get search suggestion and latest updates.