Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint Administrative Account

Asked By: Carolyn    Date: Apr 12    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 514

I have been asked to change the SharePoint service account that SharePoint users. What is the ramifications in changing this account? Is there any documentation of all the places where this password will need to be changed. I will need to change this password every 60 days. Does anyone else have this type of security requirement? How are you handling it. Setting it to never expire is not an option for me.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Chantal Rosa     Answered On: Apr 12

this is something that I will have to face in the near future. changing  the password  is not recommended, and I have seen the results of what happens when the password is changed. you are basically locked out of SharePoint. there is a long a complicated way to recover from this, but I have never tried it. what I have done is use smigrate to make a complete back up of all sites, and place this on a safe drive. if you want to keep all of the permissions the same, you will need to make a copy of those as well. then reinstall WSS, and smigrate the data back into it's appropriate place. it's a long and boring process, but I have yet to find a better solution.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Apr 12

changed  our administrative  account
password and it broke a lot of functionalities, like
the user profile import, search indexes etc. So we
rebuilt our sharepoint  portal server by uninstalling
and reinstalling keeping the backup of the databases
and configuring the config db from scratch. this
helped restore the user imports but our service
account locks evry other day. so now i/m in the
process of rebuilding sharepoint using a different
account whose password  will not be changed.
I came across an article that if you experience
lockout, change  to a new service account  and then
again change back to the old service  account with new
password . that prevents lockouts. but i havent tried

Answer #3    Answered By: Alisha Holmes     Answered On: Apr 12

I have had to change  quite a few passwords for some of the customers I work with. The easiest way of doing it is to change them in the following order:

Change the Passwords in the sharepoint  UI first Them change the Service accounts that need doing
Restart the Server

Bear in mind that the new accounts need to be given the same access as the previous ones. E.g Application Pool account  needs to be a member of IIS_WPG.

I have only ever had one issue with the locking out thing. The easy way of doing it if you come to the point of rebuilding is to delete the portal, but not the databases. Reset all the account for sharepoint as above and then restore the portal using the database files.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint Administrative Account Or get search suggestion and latest updates.