MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

SharePoint 2007 Recycle Bin "Cannot complete this action" Error

Asked By: Naman    Date: Dec 17    Category: MOSS    Views: 4896

I have several site collections and on one particular site collection, I am unable to empty the Site Collection Recycle Bin. At first, I thought it was a server issue, but all of my other site collections still work.

How issue started:
I have another system that publishes a "data book" to a document library each night. When the system publishes its new data book, it deletes the old version, about 130MB a night; putting it into the end user recycle bin. (i wish there was a way to bypass so it did not go into the recycle bin) This is not a large amount of information based on what I have read and should not be an issue. For a while, I was able to successfully go to the end user recycle bin and use the javascript:emptyItems(); command in the address bar to clear out only these specifiy documents. However, it began to error out. The error is, "Cannot complete this action."

Now when I go to the Site Collection Recycle Bin and click on "Empty Recycle Bin," I get the same error.

My thought from this point, is that maybe the stage two recycle bin was full and causing the system to error.

So, I went to the "Deleted from end user Recycle Bin" and selected all the items on the first page and clicked "Delete Selection." Again the same error.

I am able to delete items individually in the "Deleted from end user Recycle Bin" and 200 at a time in the Site Collection Recycle Bin.

Any Ideas to solving, please help.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kacie Calhoun     Answered On: Dec 17

I just want to help anyone else with this problem, so I am posting my finding and solution for this situation.

The issue is caused by the second stage recycle  bin. When the second stage reaches maximum capacity, the ability to empty the first stage recycle bin  slowed down and would either error  out or timeout. I built a desktop application that would target a single site’s second stage recycle bin and emptied it. With the second stage empty, I was able to delete the files and SharePoint stopped failing. Wither the issue was a corrupt file or just a limitation in SharePoint, I will find out when the second Stage recycle bin maxs out again.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issue.