Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Sharepoint 2007 licensing

  Asked By: Jill    Date: Feb 06    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1335

Can someone please tell me how the licensing is done now?
I presently have SPS 2003 and I have the server license. I was told
with that, all internal clients can hit the server without purchasing
any CALs as the XP CALs takes care of it.
Now, if I want to upgrade to the enterprise version of MOSS 2007, I
would need to upgrade, but all everyone tells me is to pay a small
amount per CAL. COnsidering I didn't purchase CALs, how should I



1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jaime Weaver     Answered On: Feb 06

Here is how licensing  is done for Windows sharepoint  Services (WSS) 3.0
and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007).

WSS does not require any additional software purchse to install on a
Windows Server - it's included in the server cost. Your Windows CAL
(not an XP License) covers the client use of WSS 3.0 (it also covered
the use for WSS 2.0).

For MOSS 2007 - you need to buy a server license for each server
running SharePoint Server. In addition to the server license you need
to purchase a Client Access License for each user that will connect to
the MOSS server. With SharePoint Portal Server 2003, there was only 1
CAL that you had to worry about. With MOSS 2007, there are 2 CALS that
could be required. If you are going to use the new functionality of
the Forms Services, Excel Services, or the Business Data Catalog then
you need the Enterprise CAL for SharePoint for each user accessing
those features. The Standard CAL gives you rights to use all of the
other features of the product.

Sounds to me like your not licensed properly with SharePoint Portal
Server 2003. Each SharePoint user needs a CAL if they are accessing
the server.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Sharepoint 2007 licensing Or get search suggestion and latest updates.