Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint 2003 discussions

Asked By: Bob    Date: Mar 29    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 714

Hopefully a fairly easy question for someone. I am working on a site where we are wanting to remove the OOB discussions link from the Team Sites. Is there an option in the administration pages? Or will it be a case of manually editing the site definitions? or maybe even using FrontPage to manually remove it from each page?

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jennifer Jones     Answered On: Mar 29

I haven't seen any option in admin pages. To remove the Discussion Board on the create page, you can hide it from ows.js file or create a custom_ows.js file to override the function. To hide it from the quick launch you can modify the default.aspx file.

Answer #2    Answered By: Annie Norris     Answered On: Mar 29

Did you want to remove it from the Create page, from the Quick Launch bar, or both? Either way, it is a customization to the site definition and should generally be done in a new site definition, rather than changing one of the OOB definitions.

For the Quick Launch bar, there is a line item towards the bottom of default.aspx in the site definition folder. Just do a search in the .aspx file for Discussions, and delete from the <tr> tag to the </tr> tag. This change will take effect immediately, without an IISReset.

For the Create page, it is in XML\ONET.xml. Locate the <ListTemplates> section, and remove the line item that starts with <ListTemplate Name="discuss" . This change will require an IISReset.

Answer #3    Answered By: Chadd Hahn     Answered On: Mar 29

Click on modify this workspace, then manage pages. Next from the drop down menus select delete. Select Discussion, and then click delete. This will remove the discussion page from the target site. This only works one site at a time, so you will have to perform this action to each site that you want to remove discussions  from.

Answer #4    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Mar 29

For existing sites … there isn’t a great way. For new sites you can create a template that has it removed and then use that template to create the new sites.

Answer #5    Answered By: Titus Sweet     Answered On: Mar 29

Basically I am hoping to use much improved discussions  in place of the OOB discussions. An ideal scenario would be for the create page to be modified to use this instead, but I don't think I am going to be able to achieve this.

The solution I suspect I will settle for is to remove the discussions links from the existing default.aspx pages and create a custom site definition that excludes these links. I think I read it is possible to make the default team site disappear from the list, I may do this to stop sites being created with the wrong site template.

I think that the idea of removing the item from ONET.XML is also a good one. Will give this a go as well.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint 2003 discussions Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: