Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Sharepoint 2001 migration to 2003

Asked By: Glenn    Date: Jul 19    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 11157

We are planning on migrating from Sharepoint Portal Server 2001 to Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 within the next month.
All the articles I am finding only explain the steps you take if you upgrade the current server to 2003.

I need to find out how to migrate 2001 over to 2003 when they are on separate servers. Our new server just arrived today and we'd like to install Sharepoint 2003 on it soon while the old Sharepoint 2001 site is still running for users on it's original server. How do I migrate over 2001 to the new server when we are ready for that document library?

Can I run the upgrade.exe on the old server and move the contents to the new server?
Help! Not sure what steps to take. Thanks for any of your suggestions!

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Demetrius Mcdaniel     Answered On: Jul 19

I have just gone through this whole exercise of migrating documents from sps2001 to sps2003

There are migration  tools spin.exe and spout.exe that work pretty well if you have planned the migration well.
You can download these tools at www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

I used these to migrate documents to sps2003.

There are some things you want to think about before you do the actual migration.
With these tools you can move documents from one url to 1 area or 1 document library in a site.
Documents cannot be moved to a library in an existing subarea. But the tool can create a subarea and migrate documents to it.
This means that you have to see where you want to migrate documents to. If you have all your documents in one workspace(2001) and they are all to be migrated to the 1 portal site or team site then it is quite straight forward.

I am sorry I am rambling on. If you want to hear my experience with migrating in this way I will be more than happy to share. Please email me with your phone number. I will call.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Sharepoint 2001 migration to 2003 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: