Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Shared App Pools

Asked By: Bob    Date: Jan 11    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 663

We run a shared SharePoint (WSSv2) hosting facility and where one of thefirst to adopt this model.
We have beefy hardware but ran into unpredictable results when we went beyond 50 app pools.
Microsoft Redmond worked closely with us on this and their standard answer was to reduce to 20 app pools per server

we first went down to 49 but the problems never went away, we kept scaling back to below 20 and still had the issues
finally we rebuilt the box (or as MSFT calls it 'flattening') and grouped clients into common 'pools' and stayed within the recommended 20 app pools per server
no issues since then but I was never satisfied that we ever really found out the original problem.

Now with WSSv3 being a ASP.NET hosting platform this may become more of an issue going forward to be considered as you architect your platforms...

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Hema Hegde     Answered On: Jan 11

my 1st attempt at our farm configuration contained 12 app  pools (not including the admin pools).. Each one had separate security context (account) that it would run  under. Everything was configured accorded to recommeneded best practices. needless to say, I had nothing but problems...

Called PSS, they said 1 app pool shared  among all our virtual servers was fine (just to add worker processes if necessary)

once we went to 1 app pool all probelms vanished.. never to return...

Answer #2    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Jan 11

You should only use separate app  pools for security or if you have rogue code.

Other than that you should share app pools

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Shared App Pools Or get search suggestion and latest updates.