Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

How to share pages for publishing across site collection

Asked By: Darius    Date: Mar 17    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3794

Im creating sharepoint wcm project.
Im having one web application and couple of site collections on it, some pages will be common across site collections so is it possible to share the pages across site collections.

Ex : I have 3 Site collections in one web application. Each site collection have one site. lets take sitecollection1 has 10 pages on its site and site collection2 has 10 pages aswell. Now In sitecollection2, 5 pages are same as sitecollection1. So instead of creating those 5 pages in site collection2 is there any way of sharing those pages from site collection1.

please suggest the steps.

(note : pages will contain document libraries, usercontrols, webparts, field controls)

We have identified to copy the pages across sitecollection using sharepoint object model... is this the right way of doing it...
Also please provide if any alternate ways to do it efficiently...

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Gaurav Ghosh     Answered On: Mar 17

For the scenario you've described, you might take a look at SharePoint "Variations", which allows you to push a copy  of content to various sub-sites. Variations are typically used for multi-lingual sites, but they don't have to be used that way. However, I don't know of a good out of the box way of publishing  identical content across site  collections without writing a custom script to do that.

The problem is that Site Columns are defined at the Site collection  level and each Site Column has a unique GUID. Unless a Site Column was created via a Feature, (i.e. it was created in the browser), it will have a unique id associated with it. Even if you created a Site Column in your other Site Collection with the same name, the underlying identifier would be different between Site Collections. That being the case, it would be hard to copy content between Site Collections, because SharePoint wouldn't necessarily know that the content in "My Column" needs to be copied to "My Column" in another Site Collection, if the GUIDs are different.

Luckily, that will be taken care of in SharePoint 2010 with universal content types, but unfortunately, that sort of functionality isn't available in SharePoint 2007.

Answer #2    Answered By: Katelynn Donovan     Answered On: Mar 17

as already mentioned SharePoint 2007 doesn't support cross-collection collaborations. there are several tools as metavistech.com, spanylist and corasworks.net that provide  some cross-collection collaborations, but it's very basic.

you need to wait SharePoint 2010 to meet such requirement

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on How to share pages for publishing across site collection Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: