Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Setting up content types for inheritance

Asked By: Shonda    Date: Apr 30    Category: MOSS    Views: 1090

I've been tasked with setting up a large portal for a k12 district. I have researched metadata as it relates to content type and am trying to formulate a strategy for setting up content types and taking advantage of inheritance from the top down. I'm not clear on how this is accomplished in MOSS 2007 by what I am seeing as I proceed and would like some clarification if possible.

Our portal architecture (under construction as phase 1) will be a top level entry point; the main portal, with site collections to represent major umbrella departments below it. These umbrella site collections are to house the individual departments falling under the parent departments and the main portal.

My strategy (hopefully a good one) is to create custom content types based on need that inherit from the out of the box types and have those be inherited down the hierarchy of the entire MOSS collection and allow customization by the child sites to new content types inherited from types above as needed. I assumed that I could create the root types at the portal top level and they would automatically be inherited by the site collections and sites below but this does not seem to be the case.

Can anyone tell me the proper way to set this up with minimum duplication and maximum flexibility?

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Leeann Hull     Answered On: Apr 30

The effective scope of content  type is site collection. That is to say, you cannot create a content type  in one site collection by inheriting a parent content type in another site collection. You have to maintain the content type hierarchy for each site collection separately.

Why do you create site collections to represent major umbrella departments below the main portal? You may also use sites to represents these departments within the main portal  site collection. This way, the content type hierarchy you designed would be shared across the whole organization.

Please refer to the following links for planning sites and content types:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262410.aspx
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262735.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Vaasu Radhakrishna     Answered On: Apr 30

Site Collections form a boundary to Content Types amongst other things.

To duplicate your Content Types across Site Collections ensure that all your Content Types are developed as a Feature, not through the Sharepoint UI. This Feature can then be installed within your different Site Collections, and all the common Content Types will have the same underlying GUID etc.

This gives you a fighting chance of ultimately moving data between site collections should that ever be necessary.

btw I think your creation of different Site Collections for the different departments is wise. It gives you the option of placing those Departments data in different Content Databases which would give you much greater flexibility for backup, restore, hosting when data volumes are much greater in future

Answer #3    Answered By: Brinda Bca     Answered On: Apr 30

"Features are a way of encapsulating Windows SharePoint Services functionality for ease of distribution and deployment. Features provide a mechanism by which developers can package the files a solution needs, such as content  types, Web Parts, lists, and site definitions. Developers package the necessary files into a .wsp file, which is essentially a .cab file containing a manifest that lists its contents."

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms479975.aspx

Answer #4    Answered By: Sheryl Velez     Answered On: Apr 30

A feature is a package of Windows SharePoint Services elements that can be activated for a specific scope and that helps users accomplish a particular goal or task.

To deploy content  types by feature you can read this :

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms479975.aspx

You will find some exemple of how to do this in the following articles :

www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/.../...feature.html
www.sharethispoint.com/archive/2006/07/17/11.aspx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Setting up content types for inheritance Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: