Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

The server is not operational

Asked By: Callie    Date: Feb 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3998

1. When I try People search it works fine but when I click on the Tab "External People" I get a message: "The server is not operational"

2. When I click on the link "Find people who know this Person" it gives me "An Unexpected error has occurred"

For both cases, event viewer shows an error message similar to:

"A runtime exception was detected. Details follow.

Techinal Details:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007203A): The server is not operational.

at Microsoft.Office.Server.SocialNetwork.WebService.KIQueryServiceClientInternal.Query(QueryRequest Query1, String loginId, Int32 maxResultSize)

at Microsoft.Office.Server.SocialNetwork.Portal.ClientQuery.ExecuteQueries()"

Any clues???

The web application is using a Application Pool, using Network service. In the SSP, the Service is running fine. Is it related to any permissions???

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Madison Clark     Answered On: Feb 26

When you perform the search, take a note of the time and check both Event Viewer and the Sharepoint logs. Take a note of what is listed there error  wise.

Answer #2    Answered By: Dhanraj Saxsena     Answered On: Feb 26

I looked into the Sharepoint Logs, and saw In sharepoint logs I saw "Server not operational"  error  pointing to System.Directory.DirectoryServices, that indicated that it was apermission issue in connecting to AD, as i originally doubted. I changed my application  Pool identity from "Network Service" to a Domain account. And now it all works  fine.

Is it fine  to use a Domain account for your Default web  application hosting sites?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on The server is not operational Or get search suggestion and latest updates.