Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Server migration

Asked By: Sanchay    Date: Nov 30    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 743

We are planning to move from a server running SharePoint Team Services (2001) to a Windows SharePoint Services 2003 server. Does anyone have any recommendations or lessons learned for migrating the existing WSS sites and data? We are not running Portal Server.

I understand that this is not a *smooth* process. Ideally I could choose an entire site/sub-sites, or just a particular list.

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Nov 30

In all honesty, my recommendation is not to migrate at all. The SPOUT and SPIN tools, coupled with the portal link to migrate 2001 data, end up creating as many problems as they solve. I would recommend you stand up your 03 deployment, then give your users a window of time to move  everything over during this window of time. It can be as short as a week or as long as a year – your call.

Answer #2    Answered By: Nina Banks     Answered On: Nov 30

Totally agree. We were on SP 2001 and tried the all the migration  options and finally stood up the 03 portal server  and created appropriate wss top level webs in the sites directory. Then we made the SP 2001 server Read only and had the reponsible individuals copy the documents they wanted migratred to he new server to a temporary share where they could clean up problems with file names, e.g. special caharacters, filenames that where extremely long were shortened keeping in mind the 260 chanracter UrL limitation, and get the docs organized for movement to appropriate libraies on the new server. Then they used the multiple file upload functionality to move  the files.

Answer #3    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: Nov 30

I assume that this means re-entering all list metadata about each document? If so, my UNIX colleagues are going to have a field day with this. They are always looking for ways to harpoon the Microsoft proponents at our site.

Answer #4    Answered By: Harshini Raju     Answered On: Nov 30

i also took the same approach...........

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Server migration Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: