Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Server Level permissions to admin Sharepoint

Asked By: Salvador    Date: Aug 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 932

I just moved my Sharepoint 2003 Portal installation from a dedicated IIS server to a multi-site IIS box. Everything is working fine, but my network admins don't particularly want me to be a local admin on the IIS box.

Since I am not - I am unable to use the Central Admin page on the box - which is kind of important.

So I need to be a local admin on the server or is there some type of reduced admin level I can have which will let me use that tool but not have full control of the server?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Johnny Cruz     Answered On: Aug 07

No – as far as I know, you need to be a local admin………..

Answer #2    Answered By: Norman Santos     Answered On: Aug 07

I may be wrong but try this out and see if it works. I am a local admin  and without removing myself from local admin I cannot verify it out myself. Let me know if that works

Go To SPS Admin Page and in [Security Configuration] Section click on [Set SharePoint administrative group account]. Here you can specify the Domain Group (or User Name) with admin access.

Page Description says:

Specify the Windows NT security group account to which you want to grant administrative access for SharePoint Products and Technologies. Members of this group do not have to be local administrators to perform administration tasks for SharePoint.

Note that members of the local Administrators group can also perform administration tasks for SharePoint Products and Technologies.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Server Level permissions to admin Sharepoint Or get search suggestion and latest updates.