Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Server error

Asked By: Dana    Date: Apr 12    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 632

I keep getting the following error. When I set the customerrors statement in the web config – nothing happens. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Joanna Dixon     Answered On: Apr 12

What exactly are you setting it to?

If this is a development box, you can set  it to mode=”Off” to get a detailed error  and call stack.

Answer #2    Answered By: Justine Barrera     Answered On: Apr 12

I went to the server  and got the error  that way. Can’t wait for the Mindsharp class….

Answer #3    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: Apr 12

You were on the server  and you got that error? What did you put in the web.config for the <customErrors> section? Are you hitting it via localhost or the name of the server or a DNS entry? Anything in the event log?

Answer #4    Answered By: Cory Brooks     Answered On: Apr 12

No, I was remote. I should’ve gone to the server  directly, but didn’t think of it.

Answer #5    Answered By: Ruth George     Answered On: Apr 12

Did it ever work before?

What permissions / sqlroles does the identity account of the site’s application  pool have?

Answer #6    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Apr 12

Whenever this happens, I jump right on the box and test it. Course, in some environments, lowly dev’s don’t have access to jump on production (and we shouldn’t). But in development, I like to turn the custom  errors off and see what the real error  from the YSOD.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Server error Or get search suggestion and latest updates.