Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Sending alerts to members of Sharepoint Group

Asked By: Eliseo    Date: Aug 03    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 5497

I have a simple requirement: the administrator of a MOSS 2007 site has created a SharePoint Group with "contributors" permissions over the site; since these users create and edit tasks in a MOSS tasks list, the administrator would like to create a new alert that will notify the members of the SharePoint Group of the midifications to the mentioned list; Is this possible by using the out-of-the-box MOSS functionalities? It seems that this only works with AD groups and not with user-created Sharepoint group; am I correct or is there a way to accomplish that? The administrator of the site doesn't want to create alerts on a user basis, because it is laborious and tedious.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Lalit Bhattacharya     Answered On: Aug 03

One approche could be to use SharePoint Designer and create a workflow that send an email to SharePoint group. I didn't test this in deep but after a rapid check in seem to work. SharePoint Designer is free ( here ) and it don't need coding. SharePoint Designer have some constraint and disadvantage but should do the job at first look.

Answer #2    Answered By: Sharepoint Engine     Answered On: Aug 29

Excellent question. Unfortunately, you can not use SharePoint groups as a destination for Alerts "out of the box" with SharePoint. This would require a custom solution to create a new distribution list that is built from a SharePoint Group.

I hope this helps and answers your question-

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Sending alerts to members of Sharepoint Group Or get search suggestion and latest updates.