Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Security/sitegroups in wss template

Asked By: Bryson    Date: Aug 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 786

We are trying to create a wss projecttemplate to be applied to new (sub) websites. I have created a subwebsite called “template” (based on teamsite site def.) , designed it and saved it to the sitecollections gallery. This works fine, the only thing is I need to redefine the sitegroups (eg contributor=projectmember, administrator=projectleader). I already discovered none of the security settings (change of sitegroup names, users or list security) is saved in the template. Every new site, created according to the template, has the same (default) securitysettings.

My question is: where are these security settings defined and how can I best change them? I thought they might be in the site definition, search the folder for files containing the names of the default sitegroups but found none. How can I best go designing this?

If I have not been clear enough, please let me know and I’ll give you more details.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Tory Sellers     Answered On: Aug 08

You’re correct that the security  settings are not saved  in the template. If you create  a site  you can inherit the permissions from the parent site and this will copy the site groups down if you disconnect the permissions after the site is created. You can create cross site groups that will be available to all sites. Other than that there are some 3rd party tools I’ve seen that will do some level of applying security but you’ll probably need to write a small utility to do this for your particular needs.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Security/sitegroups in wss template Or get search suggestion and latest updates.