Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Searching in SPS and WSS

Asked By: Tanya    Date: Nov 16    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 461

I'm going round in circles looking for a solution to a searching issue on SPS2K3

I have a main portal "eisnet" with its content in a seperate 2K SQL server. I've created a WSS site "itnet" with it's own content database on the same 2K SQL server. I've configured on the portal searching for content sources.

If I do a search from the portal "eisnet" it finds Docs in the portal and also the WSS site.
If I search at WSS site level "itnet" it returns nothing, but offers to search from the portal "eisnet"

Anyone point me in the right direction. I've looked at the Site admin pages but nothing leaps out at me, and I've been reading through my MS books, but nothing I've read seems to cover this particular issue.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Keenan Whitehead     Answered On: Nov 16

Out of the box that is how wss  and portal  work. You can search  the portal and all sites under the portal as well as other contentsources. At the site  level all you can search is the site and any subsites. Portal and wss use different search engines.

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Nov 16

I'm no expert but you could try the following that I have pasted from
this blog (blog.spsclerics.com/archive/2005/06/16/2027.aspx)

1. Be sure that you are running SQL Server 2000
>>> search  doesn't work in WSS using MSDE

2. Verify that SQL Full-Text Search components are installed and the
MSSearch service is running

3. Verify that "Enable Full Text Search and Index Component" is
checked in the Central Administration

The second point  was the problem for me (I had the service credentials
set wrong so the service wasn't running). Basically, Portal search and
WSS search are entirely different entities so it is quite possible
that one works fine and the other does not.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Searching in SPS and WSS Or get search suggestion and latest updates.