Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Searching in SharePoint

Asked By: Mack    Date: May 05    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 550

We are finding the standard searching capability in SharePoint is not meeting our needs. This may be because of my ignorance.

What I would like to be able to do is do is to specify a boolean query on document content on a WSS site. We do have SPS, so the advanced search could be an option if it could do what we want.

For instance, we have a library of CVs and we may want to search for documents containing both "PhD" and "Animal Health". If we do a simple search, we get all documents with either term as well as those with both.

We need to narrow down the search by adding more terms not widen it. If you could search on one term and then perform another search just within the results, it would achieve what we want.

When I look at the advanced search, the search by properties provides the boolean And operator but these do not seem to provide the ability to search the content of the documents.

Wildcard searching would also be desirable.

If what I describe is not available in standard SharePoint, are there 3rd party products that will operate with SharePoint's indexes?

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: May 05

Answer #2    Answered By: Irvin Foley     Answered On: May 05

Check this product, it does exactly what you are looking for and much more

http://www.ontolica.com

Answer #3    Answered By: Deonte Stein     Answered On: May 05

MSDN has an excellent article on how to search  SharePoint using it's
query language (to accomplish the kind of things you are looking to do).
I don't have Internet access right now but let me know if you can't find
it and I'll dig it up. I think it is pretty long, like 70 pages and
written by two of the SharePoint Resource Kit authors.

Answer #4    Answered By: Stephon Valentine     Answered On: May 05

I didnt find it, so providing the link would be helpful. The msdn search
for sharepoint  and search  is like thousands of hits.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Searching in SharePoint Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: