Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Search Service Not working in Medium Farm

Asked By: Kari    Date: Apr 27    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1079

I deployed a medium farm (new installation)

2 x (web front end and search server)

1 x (Job and index server)

1 x (SQL 2000)

The Search Service (View from Web Front End) setting looks fine before I add in Job server component into the farm. After Job server is added, I get this “

An error occurred attempting to connect to the requested indexing server.

The Event Log says “The content index cannot be enabled because its propagation version cannot be verified against the dedicated index server. This can occur when either the dedicated index server is offline or the content index is out-of-date. (0x80040427)

I don’t know what to do at this time. Spent 2 days on this but getting no where with it.

Share: 

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Ariana Christensen     Answered On: Apr 27

Have you tried re-indexing your site?

Answer #2    Answered By: Darrius Whitfield     Answered On: Apr 27

Answer #3    Answered By: Adrienne Greene     Answered On: Apr 27

Make sure indexing server  can communicate with the front-end server using Netbios traffic. Indexes are being propogated using File Copy

Answer #4    Answered By: Joshuah Huber     Answered On: Apr 27

Closure to my problem….

I called Microsoft support and added  the one service  account to all 3 portal servers to local Administrators group to resolve the issue. Windows 2003 SP1 security changes were too tight and it did not work right from the installation instruction that comes with the portal. KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555309

Answer #5    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Apr 27

i have the service  account in power users group. the only thing that didnt work was that i had to give the account local launch permissions for IISWAMREG in dcom. this is with sps/wss 2003 sp2. i have exactly the same config as you (medium farm).

giving a service account administrative privs is just plain wrong (the unix comes out, yes). Does Andy David, MVP read these groups?

Answer #6    Answered By: Keenan Whitehead     Answered On: Apr 27

I agreed that is NOT a good thing to do. So if I understand how to down grade it, I will do so.

Yes, I have the sps/wss 2003 SP2 on windows 2003 Sp1.

Can you explain to me how to give that account to IISWAMREG and which server  do I do it on?

Answer #7    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Apr 27

(on each index,job,search,web)
start>run>dcomcnfg
expand - component  services>computers>my computer>DCOM Config

find IISWAMREG; right click select properties. under security select edit under "launch and activation permissions". give your sp service  account(application pool) "Allow" to local launch.

my setup (basically from the reccomended setups in the resource kit) is:

2 service accounts and 1 security group

spservice (app pool identity)
spcrawl (crawl account)
SPPSAdmins (security group)

make sure and put both accounts in that group and then under the "set sharepoint administrator group account", type in the security group you created.

Answer #8    Answered By: Dameon Dejesus     Answered On: Apr 27

No. I don’t  see any DCOM error. I have to try it out and see.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Search Service Not working in Medium Farm Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: