Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Scenario: SPS Large Server Deployment...

Asked By: Johnpaul    Date: Jul 06    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1635

I was out for sharepoint for a long time in this group. Hope finds you all in good mood...

I have a situation that I need to implement the large server deployment firm. My client has located all over the world. Irrespective of office or home he wants to access company confidential information. Its almost 2000 users. I had gone through some msdn article. Basically I am sharepiont development/webpart background. need to concentrate on deployment scenario for this situation.

I need tricks to design this feature and implement it. I have a following row materials,
admin access to ad/active directory users, sharepoint portal server software(licensed), database.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Marty Mcdowell     Answered On: Jul 06

Sounds like you'll need to look at a Virtual Private Network (VPN) solution. Basically, clients at home  and at remote locations will establish a secure, encrypted VPN connection to the central location where your SharePoint servers are. Presumably these will be behind your corporate firewall. You'll need a secure method for authentication across the Internet. I recommend that you look at CISCO and SecurID. I've used this combination with two different companies, and it works great.

A lot will depend on what border router/firewall vendor you use. Home users can dial up or connect via broadband, presumably as they do now. Remote sites can do so across their dedicated connections, but you'll need to modify their firewalls to let the traffic pass through.

Check out http://www.rsasecurity.com/node.asp?id=1156 to learn more about two-factor authentication using SecurID tokens. These are hardware-based keys, and they work much better than software PKI. It's definitely worth the money just for what you'll save on administration of PKI. Then check to see if your network vendor is supported. If not, then have a look at www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/index.html to get a better idea of the range of solutions available.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Scenario: SPS Large Server Deployment... Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: