Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Roll out masterpage look and feel

Asked By: Valencia    Date: Oct 03    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1296

In my company our mgr wants to roll out the collaboration look and feel to all sites. they are nearly 400 sites. So he asked me to package it and deploy it to all the sites to have uniq look and feel. Can anyone help me out regarding this. I am kinda new to sharepoint.

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Josie Barron     Answered On: Oct 03

Firs of all try to find out whether all 400 site collections are hosted in the same web-app or different.
Then create a WSP (solution package for your Master Page and associated CSS files).
Now deploy the solution to the Farm as a global deployment. Ensure that this WSP has a FARM level feature in it and a Feature receiver code.

In the Feature Activated even of the Feature receiver for this custom solution package loop thru all the required site collections in the web-app and change the Master Page for each site collection. you will find the code online if you search for it.

This way you can change the Master page for all site collections.
There are more details to it, like permissions, etc on the site collections, type of site template you use, so be cautious to check your feature first before going ahead and applying it to the Production environment. Make sure you test it thoroughly.

This will get you started:
mindsharpblogs.com/.../1903.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Tamika Cummings     Answered On: Oct 03

Thank you for the detailed reply.. I will study the article and if I get any questions i will post em again.

Answer #3    Answered By: Linsey Bauer     Answered On: Oct 03

And what would be the solutution if all the site collections hosted on different web apps??

Can you give details about that?

Answer #4    Answered By: Ivy Salinas     Answered On: Oct 03

You will create a Farm level feature in that case and will loop thru all the web-apps in the Farm and change the site collection's master page.

Answer #5    Answered By: Kevin Davis     Answered On: Oct 03

okay ..thank you..I found that it is for one web app..

and How can I take care of the security and access rights??for some group of users trhey sholdnt see site actions ..and some users have to see...

What would be the approach to accomplish this

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Roll out masterpage look and feel Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: