Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Restore from Small to Medium Farm

Asked By: Kari    Date: Sep 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 759

I have a single SPS development server (small farm) that I development the whole Portal on. It is time to deploy the data to my production server (medium farm, 4 servers). Is it possible to back up and restore from small farm to medium farm? I did it a few times but the site did not come quite right. Any hint will be helpful.

Also, if it is possible, can I change the URL name for the whole portal in this restore process? For example, the name was http://portal2 and I like to restore it to http://portal without the 2.

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Sep 26

Is the medium  farm up and running yet? We did this exact thing. You will need to make sure that the version of everything is the same on both portals. Build the web farm  and do a restore  of the portal. The databases from the sql server  housing the data  from the single  farm need to migrated over to the sql server housing the data for the medium farm. Then you can just reconnect everything.

You can change  the access URL in Site Settings.

Answer #2    Answered By: Victoria Bell     Answered On: Sep 26

Yes. The medium  farm is up and running. Version are the same so far. So if I read your email correctly, I should move SQL data  using SQL back  up and restore  method and then re-connect the portal  pieces? Of course, I should skip the configuration database. Is that correct?

Answer #3    Answered By: Cassidy Sharpe     Answered On: Sep 26

if its PORTAL, i would suggest using spsbackup. - much cleaner. i liken it to
an ISO of your portal, in fact using sql backups to restore  portal isnt even
100% supported as far as i know.

use spsbackup
install and patch sps/wss on new machine, create config and assign roles (config
your central admin)
restore using spsbackup and point it to the xml file that was created. perfect
restore every time  (given we are in the same domain!)

Answer #4    Answered By: Linda Mason     Answered On: Sep 26

Just remember that you're restoring it to your first front end and then connecting and mapping your second front end to it. You have an index and a sql server  backend I presume?

Answer #5    Answered By: Hans Weiss     Answered On: Sep 26

Do you have the Extranet documentation from Microsoft. It goes over the other steps as well. You will have to restore  on one WFE and the extend to the others and Index server. Is this how yours is set up? Yes skip the configuration database. We used the backup and restore tool to do this but we have also done it thru SQL as well.

Answer #6    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Sep 26

We took Microsoft to bat on this thru premier support and they have
backed down on their stance on SQL backup and restores not being 100%
supported. They want you to use the SP tool so that it brings over all
the content sources and stuff like that but we wanted to use SQL server
for our entire DR process  and they signed off on it. As long as you
don't mind having to manually input your content sources and search
schedules then using SQL to backup and restore  the sp databases should
not be a problem.

Answer #7    Answered By: Freddy Heath     Answered On: Sep 26

Yes. I have separate job server  and SQL server for the medium  farm.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Restore from Small to Medium Farm Or get search suggestion and latest updates.