Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Restore Problem

Asked By: Ravi    Date: Aug 09    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2757

Content DB is more then 10 gb i can restore the Backup file following error will be coming

Script: stsadm -o restore -url http://servername:port -filename C:\SPBackup\spbr001F\00000011.bak

Error:Your backup is from a different version of Windows SharePoint Services and cannot be restored to a server running the current version. The backup file should be restored to a server with version '1162887508.196608.17694860.0' or later.

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kelvin Mckinney     Answered On: Aug 09

First of all please confirm how the backup  was taken

stsadm -o backup -url  -filename
stsadm -o backup -directory -backupmethod

Looking at the path that you are providing to restore, i believe you had used the second command to backup(or backed up using Central admin UI) .Thats basically used to take full farm back up.

If you need only one web application to be restored, i prefer to take back up of that specific web application and restore  it using the following commands

stsadm -o backup -url -filename  c:\test.bak
stsadm -o restore -url -filename c:\test.bak

Once the backup / restore failed , please clear the timerjob defenitions before you try again.

hope this works

Answer #2    Answered By: Gaurav Ghosh     Answered On: Aug 09

Thats the nice explanation...

And can you tell me how can we migrate data from production environment to non prod environment....My organization has many content  databases to migrate..What the constraints that we have to take care of..and can u briefly explain the process also..

Answer #3    Answered By: Katelynn Donovan     Answered On: Aug 09

Thanks for your reply. Here backup  file has given Vendor team.. so we create the web application and try to restore  that backup file  same error  has occur and clear the timer jobs also till now same error occur..

Answer #4    Answered By: Geraldine Slater     Answered On: Aug 09

Well, this is because your source and target SharePoint environment are not matching. In order for back up restore  to work without any issues, both the environments should be identical.
Identify what service pack and hot fixes have been installed on the source machine and install same service pack and hot fixes on the target machine.
you can also go ahead and install SP2 or infrastructure update on both the machines, and then do a back up - restore

Answer #5    Answered By: Gail Richmond     Answered On: Aug 09

Thanks for the information.
Ok. If the backup  was taken fby a different team , i assume that the existing backup is taken for a web application only . Not for the entire farm.

as Pratik said, First see if both the farms are at same level. If you restoration farm is on lower level patch, this may not work. (check version  for Microsoft.Sharepoint.dll and Microsoft.sharepoint.portal.dll versions from file  system and that should match then check from CA->operations->servers in farm they should also match)

If they match, instead of running  commands to restore, move the backup fiiles to your system and try restore  option from Central admin itself.

Answer #6    Answered By: Ramona Solis     Answered On: Aug 09

The best option for you is move content  DB from one farm to another( if this is a one time activity)

1. Check for Microsoft.sharepoint.dll and Microsoft.Sharepoint.portal.dll versions from bothe environments
this file  will be normally under (12\ISAPI) folder

2. Check from Central admin ->operations->contetnt databases then runn the command as stsadm  -o addcontentdb -url  http://... - databasename (name of the restored  contentdb)

do an iisreset and access the site

Please let me knwo if you have any questions

Answer #7    Answered By: Harvey Blankenship     Answered On: Aug 09

But Still Now i get the same error  actually Vendor team Gave only Farm Server
Backup file  and ContentDb backup  file. i am creating one Webapplication
and try to restore  the ContentDB backup file that error as coming, i check
the Version, That also Same as Vendor's Version, i am trying to restore
the ContentDB using SQLSERVER That is also not Working.

I think They gave the Databases from production Server, so that's y these errors
are occuring. What i have to do?

Answer #8    Answered By: Xiomara Blanchard     Answered On: Aug 09

As i havent seen the servers, i may not be right .
still from your explanation above, i feel that they have provided you a back up using stsadm  command
thats the reason you are not able to restore  on SQL server

ask your vendor to take back up of ContentDB from SQL server  and get it.
Restore it on your SQL server
create web app and attach it.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Restore Problem Or get search suggestion and latest updates.