Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Require Security Group Selection On File Upload to Document Library?

Asked By: Tyler    Date: Jan 02    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1030

We have WSS (not MOSS) installed and when a user uploads an item (word excel pdf etc) into a document library for their group (business unit) i need to require them to pick between 1 of 3 security groups that are allowed to see the file (eg: we have "US Based Staff" and "Field Based Staff" either chose one or both so 3 choices) Depending on what group the user is in then they may / may not see the file (eg: "Field Based Staff" could not see or download a "US Based Staff - Only" File) i need to make this a required field upon document upload.

Has any one done this or something close to it?!?!? I've been searching and haven't found anything that comes close.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Mackenzie Lewis     Answered On: Jan 02

It is not possible to set the item  level permissions in the document  library according to the group  you select out of the box, you can only use item level permissions in a SharePoint lists, you can use customized code set permission programmatically. Firstly, you should create a dropdown filed and set with a required  value in document library, set the field’s choice as your security  groups. Then using Event handler to set permission according the group you select when a new document is saved to the library.
I think these articles can help you to get started:
Event Fundamentals: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms442323.aspx

How to set Item Level Permission for List/Document library  programmatically: blogs.msdn.com/.../...ibrary-programmatically.aspx
Hope it can help you.