MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Reporting Services integration Vs the BDC

Asked By: Valencia    Date: Sep 10    Category: MOSS    Views: 865

We are looking to install MOSS 2007 over the next month and there is a discussion going on regarding the method for presenting data to the user community. Is anyone able to provide any information to advise on the pros and cons of the SSRS integrated approach compared to the Business Data Catalog.

I have no experience with the BDC and limited experience with SharePoint, from what I can see the BDC looks good for getting limited data out easily and providing a very good UI, however I cannot find much information on how it performs when trying to export data and perform some of the more intensive aggregation and manipulation that I would normally perform in SSRS.

Even just some pointers to resources that provide a direct comparison would be appreciated.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Alice Chandler     Answered On: Sep 10

I've worked, in a pretty shallow way, with both.

If you're intending to do "real" reporting, then don't use BDC for that. My sense is that SSRS would be far better.

If want to integrate back end data into content management, however, that would be different. If you want to tag documents or lists with backend data, go that route.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Reporting Services integration Vs the BDC Or get search suggestion and latest updates.