Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

I have my report, now how do I deploy?

Asked By: Kamal    Date: Apr 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 920

This is probably extremely easy and straight forward, but I'm not finding it!

I'm using the XML Datasource method with http://[server name]/[optional site name]/_vti_bin/lists.asmx to grab my data.

I made a pie chart, now how do I toss it in SharePoint on a dashboard? Links to articles/blogs with this info would be fantastic.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Lakeshia Gould     Answered On: Apr 22

Please note the following in the link that i provided above -

"SharePoint sites use different Web addresses than a Reporting Services report  server in native mode. A SharePoint site Web hierarchy includes the SharePoint Web application, a top-level site, optional subsites, and libraries. You must know how to create a URL address that specifies the SharePoint server as well as the location in the SharePoint site hierarchy where you want to publish a report or related items. When you use Report Designer, Report Builder, or Model Designer to publish reports and related files to a library, the files are validated before they are added. If you upload reports and related files by using the Upload action on a SharePoint library, no validation check occurs. You will not know whether the file is valid until you access the report by managing, editing, or running it."

So, even in integration mode, VS is used for creating the reports (authoring) but deployed onto SharePoint location and not on Reprot Server URL that you used earlier. You can publish the reports from VS to SharePoint directly (where it validates the definition before deployment) or you can simply upload the files into SharePoint location (no validation done).

Probably it started throwing that error now because you configured it correctly now to use SharePoint Integration mode.

Regarding the data source issue, refer data source related info under "Publishing from an Authoring Tool to a SharePoint Library" section in the same technet article.

Also, see "About the Report Server Database" section in technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326356(SQL.90).aspx [Report server can't run in mixed mode - has to run either in native mode or Integration mode.] However, native mode doesn't mean you can't integrate reports from report server with SharePoint site..

If there's a need for running the report server in native mode, you can always switch back without a reinstalling - Ref:technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326407(SQL.90).aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Lizbeth Macdonald     Answered On: Apr 22

I found the solution to my problem. After several days of being stumped, it turns out it is something very simple, but easily overlooked.

My production environment was integrated and set up correctly, but I failed to realize that SP3 for SQL2005 makes changes to Visual Studio 2005, and my installation of VS was on a development machine. I didn't see anywhere that it updates BIDS.

I actually updated VS2005 to SP1 and that had no effect, it wasn't until Visual Studio was patched with the SQL SP3 that everything worked perfectly.

So...just a reminder, if you have VS on a separate machine from your SQL/SharePoint integration, you need to throw sql2005 with sp2/3 on your dev machine!!!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on I have my report, now how do I deploy? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.