Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Removing the "Click New Item Above" Message

Asked By: Cyrus    Date: Aug 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2585

All list view web parts that have no items to display have the same standard message that says:

There are no items to show in this view of the "List Name" list. To create a new item, click "New item" above.

I have a web part for a list where I do not show the toolbar above, so there is therefore no New Item link to display. I would like to get rid of this message, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can be done by editing the schema.xml file. The problem is, I cannot seem to figure out which schema.xml file to change.

The list was originally created by importing an excel spreadsheet, and is a list in a WSS site.

I assumed therefore that the file to change would be c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\TEMPLATE\1033\STS\LISTS\CUSTLIST\schema.xml

I found two sections in the file where the following code was displayed:

<HTML>There are no items to show in this view of the "</HTML>

<ListProperty Select="Title" HTMLEncode="TRUE"/>

<HTML>" list. To create a new item, click "New item" above.</HTML>

which I changed to the following:

<HTML>There are no items to show in this view of the "</HTML>

<ListProperty Select="Title" HTMLEncode="TRUE"/>

<HTML>" list.</HTML>

Yet I saw no change in the display of the web part. I even did an iisreset on the server, and still no change.

Is there something that I am missing? Or am I looking at the wrong file?

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Matt Prince     Answered On: Aug 13

Use FP and apply the conditional formatting on the row - Hide Content When Rows Is Null

Answer #2    Answered By: Brooks Bond     Answered On: Aug 13

I have many team sites that are based on the same site  template. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I make this change  using Front Page, then I will need to remake the same change every time I create  a new instance of a site based on the same template.

I want a change that will be more permanent.

Answer #3    Answered By: Gregg Wilkinson     Answered On: Aug 13

By editing  the definition (editing by common means) I don't think you can retro any definition change  to sites that are already deployed. For existing sites, you need to do this site  by site.

If you are working on a new site definition (by tweaking a site to be saved as Site Template), then I think this change will be carried over into sites based upon tweaked template (though I have not tried or tested a definition carryover).

I don't know what is the equivalent method (without using FP) of it to tweak the schema  files for desired results.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Removing the "Click New Item Above" Message Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: