Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Reference Custom List in sub-webs

Asked By: Felicia    Date: Sep 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 855

Is there any way to reference a Custom List held in the top-level WSS site in the sub-webs off that site?

I have a list that has static data that needs to be in a drop-down list in custom lists in a number of subwebs.

Share: 

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: Sep 13

If you create your drop-down  menu item list  first, you can refer to it when creating subsequent lists  by using the Lookup field.

Example: From the Main site, I create a custom  list called DropDownItems. It has a single displayed field called Title, plus the obligatory ID field.

Now I go to my subweb and create a list called MyList. I then modify the list to add a field called Menu of type Lookup (information already on this site). In the Optional Settings section, I set Get Information From to MenuItems. Then in the Get Information From field, I choose Title. I click OK, and go back to the MyList entry form. Your drop-down menu will then be populated from the list on the main page.

Is this clear enough? Let me know if you need more information.

Answer #2    Answered By: Willard Valenzuela     Answered On: Sep 13

That's what I am doing, but none of the lists  in the parent site  are showing up.

This is plain WSS not SPS, so I don't know whether that makes a difference........

Answer #3    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Sep 13

I am also using WSS only. I'm logged on as Administrator, if that makes a difference.

Answer #4    Answered By: Emmett Hyde     Answered On: Sep 13

All SharePoint lists  are contained within a Web scope. You will be
unable to use a list  in a parent site  as a lookup in at list on a
subweb. Sorry.

There are client-side JavaScript workarounds to this problem, but they
are quite complex.

Answer #5    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Sep 13

While browsing the internet I came across this
store.bamboosolutions.com/...tegrity-web-part.aspx

Answer #6    Answered By: Sheena Ray     Answered On: Sep 13

No great problem, but it would have been nice.......

Is there anyway to create a list  in the parent site  and then replicate /
copy the contents to the lists  within the subwebs? Or could you simply
do it via a batch file / script?

Answer #7    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Sep 13

There’s nothing OOTB that will replicate a list  down, you’d have to setup another process to do this for you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Reference Custom List in sub-webs Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: