Sharepoint 2010 Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint 2010       RSS Feeds

Recommendations for Permissions

Asked By: Mark    Date: Mar 14    Category: Sharepoint 2010    Views: 1288

We're using SP 2010 as a host site for our BI system (SSRS/SSAS).

I've got several libraries

1 - Powerpivot
2 - Reporting (SSRS)
3 - Dashboards (Performance Point Dashboards)

And 1 list
4 - Performance Point Dashboard Parts

We publish report models, connections etc into folders in the Reporting Library, which has several folders within it for Reports, Report Models, Data Connections, and Report Parts.

What I haven't figured out is how to get the permissions right. Right now we're using the default configuration and those who have a requirement to author reports are put into a contributors group.

What I'd like to do is prevent one contributor from editting a report published by another contributor. And allow that contributor to be able to modify the permissions on the report they publish to grant another user the rights to edit said report.

i.e. if I wrote a report, others can read it, copy it, etc... they just can't modify my report unless I give them explicit permission to do so.

Is this possible? And if so, what is a recommended path to achieve it?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Vladi Gubler     Answered On: Mar 16

To be able to edit the permissions, you need to be an admin, this is probably not the permissions level you want to grant your contibutors. You can however use this SharePoint Designer workflow activity:
You can use it to set the permissions in a workflow by the means of specifying the users in a User\Group column of the document. This is pretty simple.
The same goes for disallowing editing by another contributor, you just give the document item level permissions, where you leave just the creators as an editor.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Recommendations for Permissions Or get search suggestion and latest updates.