Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Quick Parts where document template is in another SharePoint list

Asked By: Luz    Date: Aug 23    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1949

I have a problem where if I use a document from a SharePoint document library as a template for a different document library, when I create a document from that template any quick parts in the document never update to the values from the new list item (the quick part fields always remain as they were in the template at the time the document was created).

Does anybody know if there is a way to get this to work?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Ella Sargent     Answered On: Aug 23

After some serious heartache I am delighted to say that I've got to the bottom of this. I managed to get to the bottom of it by breaking down the Word document  into it's constituent xml documents and doing a find in files for the particular fields  that had lost their binding. In the same region as the field names was a guid, which (using sharepoint  2007 Manager) I crossed referenced back to be the SourceId of the SPField (some serious detective work). The solution is to set the SourceId for the field in the xml definition - this prevents SharePoint from generating a new Guid every time  a new list  is created  using the definition. (so when the document is moved from the template  list to the document list the bindings are retained).

Tagged: