Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Questions

Asked By: Zachariah    Date: Apr 23    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 677

Below are few requirements on which I working on currently, I would be happy if you can provide some solutions on the following:

1. The quick launch bar - it would be great is there could be more flexibility around the quick launch bar. Some examples of the changes we would like to make are to remove 'pictures' 'discussions' and 'surveys' when we are not using the features. Also, is there an easier way to arrange the documents in the quick launch bar other than to check and un check in the general settings.

2. Audit trail - it is extremely important that we have a detailed audit trail in terms of who accesses which section when and the action taken. I know there are usage reports in available right now - but these do not really help. We are dealing with a lot of confidential information and we need to have an audit trail.

3. Alerts - When one receives alerts, the message provides the name of the user who has made an addition to a file or list etc. However, when a file is deleted the user name does not appear. Again, here is it really important to know who has deleted a file.
Thanks in Advance,

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Tyrone Meyer     Answered On: Apr 23

YOU CAN REMOVE THE ITEMS U DON'T WANT OR ADD ITEMS
USING FRONTPAGE. GO TO 'INSERT' AND CLICK
NAVIAGATION....

IN SUCH CASES I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A WEBPART BUILT
THAT STORES ACCESSED USERS. BUT WHY ALLOW CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMTION TO ALL. GIVE RIHTS ONLY TO THEM WHO SUD BE
PERMITTED TO VISIT.

ITS A GOOD QUERY.... I M TRYING TO FIX THIS ISSUE. I
BELIVE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH DOC EVENTSINK......
BUT ANYONE ADVICE IS APPRECIATABLE...

Answer #2    Answered By: Dean Neal     Answered On: Apr 23

Regarding the second issue: The question is we have given access permissions to only few people based on the requirement, but I was referring to a detailed audit  trail because if by chance, someone deletes something or by mistake some erroneous information  has been updated in those cases we can track using the detailed audit trail.

Answer #3    Answered By: Vincent Griffin     Answered On: Apr 23

You can also specify whether or not any list  or Library is listed on the Quick
Launch bar  in Internet Explorer by changing the checkbox in the General Settings
section of the Modify Settings and Columns.

Document Libraries have an event module that you can use to tap into (including
audit) the various activities of your users. These events are subsequent and
asynchronous. Lists, however, do not have this capability yet.

The reason that the deleted user  is not shown in alerts  is because alerts are
fired subsequent to the action  and the delete physically removed any record in
the database about the deletion. Your best bet is to only give delete authority
to a few trusted individuals.

You may also want to consider using versioning on your Document Libraries.

Answer #4    Answered By: Antoine Barker     Answered On: Apr 23

Thanks for the solutions. One more question, does WSS support storing any database objects. What I mean by Database Objects is, the object might be a 'Procedure' which has couple of SQL Statements within and on clicking the SQL Statements should be invoked and executed on the Database.

Is there any such provision ? If not can I have a Database table document and can I query on the document staying in WSS rather than going to Access/Oracle.

Throw some light on these issues...

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Questions Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: