Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Publishing: Variation Hierarchy creation fails when the variation root's Pages library is set t

Asked By: Reed    Date: Mar 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3455

Clearly this is a bug, and I know the workaround but where can I log this as an issue? Connect has no way to submit issues back to the sharepoint team. The affected product is MOSS Enterprise SP2 (no CUs applied)

Repro:

- Create a site collection with publishing template (e.g. at /)
- Create variation labels (e.g. english/french)
- Modify the root /Pages library (which will eventually host the VariationRoot.aspx page) to NOT require checkout for editing files (via settings > versions)
- Attempt to create hierarchy

Failed

Result from LRO log:

<error><message>The file "Pages/VariationRoot.aspx" is not checked out.</message><full>Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The file "Pages/VariationRoot.aspx" is not checked out. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107090F): The file "Pages/VariationRoot.aspx" is not checked out.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.CheckInFile(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebRelativeUrl, Int32 iCheckinType, String bstrCheckinComment, Boolean bIsMigrate, Int32 iEditorId)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.CheckInFile(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebRelativeUrl, Int32 iCheckinType, String bstrCheckinComment, Boolean bIsMigrate, Int32 iEditorId)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.CheckInFile(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebRelativeUrl, Int32 iCheckinType, String bstrCheckinComment, Boolean bIsMigrate, Int32 iEditorId)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFile.CheckIn(String comment, SPCheckinType checkInType, Boolean bIsMigrate, SPUser modifiedBy)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFile.CheckIn(String comment, SPCheckinType checkInType)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.VariationSettings.CreateVariationRootPage(PublishingWeb area)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.VariationSettings.CreateHierarchies(LongRunningOperationJob lroLogger, List`1 errors)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.CreateVariationHierarchiesLro.CreateVariationHierarchies()</full><customData>The file "Pages/VariationRoot.aspx" is not checked out.</customData></error>

Cleary the answer is to leave the root Pages library alone, however, it took us a long long time to find this issue because we were using a custom feature to create the variations hierarchy in a custom site definition (ONET.xml) - lots of mud in the way.

So, where can we log these things?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Liana Alston     Answered On: Mar 26

I understand your concern, if this is a bug, then you could request a refund and there is no charge for bugs.
Please understand I could not confirm this is a bug  or not because it is beyond my authority.

I agree with you on the following factors:
1) Setting the Pages library  to not require  checkout is a valid and legal operation
2) Creating a variation  hierarchy is a valid and legal operation
However, I am not sure whether it is true that “3) Operations 1) and 2) are independent and unrelated operations”.
That is why I suggest you to contact premier support, and they could help you to check the internal  logic then give you a proper answer  which I can’t.

Based on my understanding, Variations use in planning phrase. During the planning, I seldom change the SharePoint settings. If possible, I would like to ask you to create  you custom  solution based on default SharePoint settings.

Last but not the least, in connect.microsoft.com, you could submit  your feedback at:
https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=428

Tagged: