Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

prompted to re-login with excel files

Asked By: Alexandria    Date: Jul 27    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 15953

When clicking on a file to open it in a document library, some users
are getting a prompt to re-login. This re-login occurs when they open
an excel file to view, but not a txt file to view. Does anyone know
what would cause this for some but not others?

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Mary Adams     Answered On: Jul 27

Your session when browsing a SharePoint site is authenticated one time and doesn’t end until it times out or you close your browsers. Office products (Word, and in your situation, Excel) opens a separate connection to the site to download & open  the file  requested. Therefore, because Office is using a separate connection, your credentials are not passed off from one session to the other (no, there’s no way to configure/enable/set this… if you could, it would be a security risk).

Users who are in the same AD as the SharePoint server don’t see these prompts because their client is authenticated, not the session… and if the target site is in the right zone, the security credentials are passed along to log the user’s session in automatically.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Jul 27

Does it matter at all whether you are using Office 2003 or 2000?

Specifically, we are using Office 2000, but some users have Visio
2003, which installs enough functionality to allow the "Edit in ...
functionality" from the context menu in the doclib.

Answer #3    Answered By: Alyssa Butler     Answered On: Jul 27

Nope, it won’t matter what client version you’re using. If the client (Word/Excel/etc) can open  a document  from a URL, it will do so under a new session and thus, require a new login.

However, as I mentioned, if the machine the client is installed on is part of the same AD domain, and the user logged into the machine with valid credentials that have been granted access to the document, and IE is configured to pass the credentials off to the site, they won’t see the login prompts at all.

Answer #4    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Jul 27

A another option I you don’t mind using a 3rd Party you can try http://www.infogenic.net/goto/S2O

This software uses a forms based authentication for SharePoint and also integrates Office 2003 Authentication, giving you a single sign on system.

Answer #5    Answered By: Ana Payne     Answered On: Jul 27

I am having the same issue except clients and server are all in one AD domain but the login prompts show up even when the user changes pages (even though clicking  on cancel makes it disappear). I have multiple users with this problem when other users have no problem at all.

Answer #6    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Jul 27

That sounds like a specific item on your pages is in a protected area of your portal or server file  system if only some users get the prompt.

I’d suggest getting something like Fiddler (http://www.fiddlertool.com) which will show you a log of all HTTP traffic between the client & server. Have one of your “problem users” install this tool, close all browsers, open  Fiddler, then have them request a page that’s throwing issues. Look in the log… you’re looking for a 401.x entry. When you find something, look at the file… then reply back here and we’ll have a look.

Answer #7    Answered By: Lacey Daniels     Answered On: Jul 27

I can't see the original question, but you may also want to check the
browser settings on the client to ensure that it isn't set to prompt  for

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on prompted to re-login with excel files Or get search suggestion and latest updates.