Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Problem deleting documents

Asked By: Erik    Date: Aug 29    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 904

We are using Sharepoint 3.0 to receive faxes that are sent by e-mail. We have to retain these for 30 days so we therefore don't allow users to delete them. I currently have about 10,000 of these that need to be deleted, but the Powershell script that I was given to use (a consultant who is no longer available set this up for us) gets an error. The problem is not the script because it works on another like folder just fine. The error I'm gettting is:

"A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I get a similar error if I try to use Explorer View when viewing the sharepoint site with Internet Explorer:

"\\intranet\fax is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A device attached to the system is not functioning."

As far as I can tell everything between this site (intranet\fax) and another (intranet\verifications) are identical, but I'm only getting errors with intranet\fax. The only difference is the huge volume of documents in intranet\fax. Intranet\verifications only has a handful of documents in it.

I used stsadm.exe to check for intranet\fax for corruption and none was found.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either why I'm getting this error or some other way I can delete only documents that are over 30 days old? (That is, besides deleting one by one...)

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Latrice Henson     Answered On: Aug 29

Ok, I was finally able to resolve this problem  using the following method:

I created a view to limit the data I was working with to one month at a time. Then, under the Actions menu, I selected "Edit in Datasheet". This then allowed me to select the entire month's worth of data and delete  it (clicked the box in the upper left corner to select all and then pressed the delete key). Then I emptied the recycle bin since it all really went there. I did this one month at a time until I was down to about 3 months worth of data. Then the PowerShell script ran without the error and deleted the rest that I wanted deleted.

So, it appears the error was caused by simply having too much data. In all, about 30,000 faxes were deleted so I guess my 10,000 estimate was a bit off.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Problem deleting documents Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: