Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Problem with Custom Site Definition

Asked By: Claude    Date: Oct 14    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1308

Trying to add a custom site definition to WSS and all is good EXCEPT the following error when choosing my custom definition for items that use the MPS folder under the 60 hive (Notice the toolpane manager issues).:

My new webtemp_aw.xml looks like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!-- _lcid="1033" _version="11.0.5510" _dal="1" -->

<!-- _LocalBinding -->

<Templates xmlns:ows="Microsoft SharePoint">

<Template Name="AW" ID="11000">

<Configuration ID="0" Title="Anchor Wall Team Site" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/stsprev.png" Description="This Anchor Wall template creates a site for teams to create, organize, and share information quickly and easily. It includes a Document Library, and basic lists such as Announcements, Events, Contacts, and Quick Links."> </Configuration>

<Configuration ID="1" Title="Anchor Wall Blank Site" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/stsprev.png" Description="This Anchor Wall template creates a Windows SharePoint Services-enabled Web site with a blank home page. You can use a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible Web page editor to add interactive lists or any other Windows SharePoint Services features."> </Configuration>

<Configuration ID="2" Title="Anchor Wall Document Workspace" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/dwsprev.png" Description="This Anchor Wall template creates a site for colleagues to work together on documents. It provides a document library for storing the primary document and supporting files, a Task list for assigning to-do items, and a Links list for resources related to the document."> </Configuration>

</Template>

<Template Name="AWMPS" ID="12000" >

<Configuration ID="0" Title="Anchor Wall Basic Meeting Workspace" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/mwsprev.png" Description="All the basics to plan, organize and track your meeting. This Meeting Workspace contains the following lists: Objectives, Attendees, Agenda, and Document Library."> </Configuration>

<Configuration ID="1" Title="Anchor Wall Blank Meeting Workspace" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/mwsprev.png" Description="A blank Meeting Workspace for you to customize based on your requirements."> </Configuration>

<Configuration ID="2" Title="Anchor Wall Decision Meeting Workspace" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/mwsprev.png" Description="A Meeting Workspace in which to review relevant documents and record decisions. This Meeting Workspace contains the following lists: Objectives, Attendees, Agenda, Document Library, Tasks, and Decisions."> </Configuration>

<Configuration ID="3" Title="Anchor Wall Social Meeting Workspace" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/mwsprev.png" Description="A planning tool for social occasions, featuring a discussion board and a picture library to post pictures of the event. This Meeting Workspace contains the following lists and Web Parts: Attendees, Directions, Image/Logo, Things To Bring, Discussions, and Picture Library."> </Configuration>

<Configuration ID="4" Title="Anchor Wall Multipage Meeting Workspace" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/mwsprev.png" Description="All the basics to plan, organize and track your meeting with multiple pages. This Meeting Workspace contains the following lists: Objectives, Attendees and Agenda in addition to two blank pages for you to customize based on your requirements."> </Configuration>

</Template>

</Templates>

And the Template AW, all of those work fine, and have been modified with custom css, different logos, different layout etc.

However the AWMPS one does not work. I made an exact copy of the MPS folder and put it into the AWMPS folder and the result is the issues above. Not sure whats going on, unextended the site, deleted content database, done iisresets, however whenever I choose “Anchor Wall Basic Meeting Workspace” it fails to create the page properly with that image above.

Anyone know how to fix this? Because nothing has been changed to the MPS stuff yet, just copied it into AWMPS and it doesn’t seem to be working properly.

Share: 

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Stephon Valentine     Answered On: Oct 14

It looks to me like you put  the web part in the navbar, not the body. That
is parobably an issue in the aspx form file.

Answer #2    Answered By: Leif Cardenas     Answered On: Oct 14

None of the aspx files have been changed  in the AWMPS folder, they are exact  duplicates of the files from the MPS folder. Additionally, the regular basic  meeting workspaces work  just fine  so that can’t be it. It really doesn’t  make any sense to me…

Answer #3    Answered By: Jasper Hatfield     Answered On: Oct 14

If all that is true, it must be that someone changed  the aspx file with
frontpage and it is unghosted in the inetpub version.

Answer #4    Answered By: Rashawn Hopper     Answered On: Oct 14

Thanks to those of you who asked... I had trouble for the last ~2 weeks with the Outlook folder  where messages from this group land. All the messages got corrupted and I couldn't scroll the list. I think I have it fixed (ever used scanpst.exe?).

So, if you had questions directed specifically at Todd, I probably haven't see them.
--------------------------------------

This question below is caused by a known issue... The MPS site  Definition (ID=2) is the only Site Definition that can display the ToolPane Manager WebPart and the PageTabs WebPart. These two WebParts require the host Site Definition to have an ID=2. There can only be one Site Definition with an ID=2. To prove what I'm telling you, temporarily change the MPS Site Definition ID to 20000 and make your AWMPS ID to 2. Run iisreset and create  a new site using the AWMPS Site Definition. I wager the WebParts will then work. However, your built-in MPS Site Definition will now fail and all MPS-based Sites previously created will now potentially fail (I'm actually not exactly sure what will happen to these Sites).

Let us know how it works out...

Answer #5    Answered By: Horace Coffey     Answered On: Oct 14

I wish that the PageTabsWebPart developer hadn't restricted that
component to ID=2. Many people have lamented the inability to really
extend the MPS Site Definition because of this issue.

Answer #6    Answered By: Rigoberto Beard     Answered On: Oct 14

I remember pursuing that MPS issue.
It ends up that I deviated from the Microsoft recommended new site
definition model because it was rediculous in practice.

I wanted to create  new definitions for SPS, STS and MPS, so I copied
them and created my own versions (ala Microsoft best practice). Then
discovered that SPS and MPS are hardcoded IDs... and potentially
hardcoded directory names. So this left me with modifying original
SPS and MPS files. A hardcore purist might still want to try to work
with copies of STS, but not me. Two reasons: 1) MPS exists within
STS; 2) Copying STS does add  complexity. Result, I automate my
changes, but change SPS, STS and MPS in place. Now if Microsoft
pushes me changes (ala patches) to those files, at least I can
reproduce them with my automated means.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Problem with Custom Site Definition Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: