Sharepoint 2010 Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint 2010       RSS Feeds

Problem Adding AD Group to SP Group using PowerShell

Asked By: Chris    Date: Oct 04    Category: Sharepoint 2010    Views: 3543

I am trying to create a powershell script that will enumerate SharePoint 2010 permissions and groups from a .csv file. The script needs to

1) Create the SharePoint groups
2) Add an owner
3) Add an active directory doman security group
4) Add a permission level to the SharePoint group.

However, I can't seem to add active directory groups to the SharePoint groups even though the groups exist in SharePoint, as they have been imported through the UPS synch. This is the code I have been using:

param (

[string] $createspgroups = "SPGroupssh.csv"

$web = Get-SPWeb http://myserver

ipcsv $createspgroups | foreach {

$owner = $web.AllUsers[$_.Owner];

$adgroupname = $web.AllUsers[$_.ADGroupName];

$GroupName =$_.GroupName;

$web.SiteGroups.Add($GroupName,$owner, $adgroupname, $GroupName)

$memberGrp = $web.SiteGroups[$GroupName]

$web.AssociatedMemberGroup = $memberGrp

$memberAssignment = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPRoleAssignment($memberGrp)

The .csv file format is as follows:

GroupName Permissions Owner ADGroupName
PW Group,Read,domain\administrator,domain\pwgroup

When I run the script, I get an error in powershell that tells me that I can't add a 'domain group to a group'. I have tested the script substituting the $adgroupname with $owner (eg adding a user to the group instead of an AD group)and the script works with no errors. The script also works if the AD group does not exist in SHarepoint (although the group is empty!)

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but I have assumed from what I have read that you use the same method for adding a group as you would a user.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

No Answers Found. Be the First, To Post Answer.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Problem Adding AD Group to SP Group using PowerShell Or get search suggestion and latest updates.