Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Preventing users from opening SharePoint Portal Server 2003 in Front Page

Asked By: Ronald    Date: Oct 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 5779

I just read the document from Microsoft on how to do this. After you add wdfopensite to the onet.xml file is there anything else that needs to be done? Does the server need to be rebooted? IISReset? Will the user get an error message when they try to open the page in FrontPage?

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Oct 22

I believe this only applies to sites that were created after the entry was added … and you need to do an IISRESET.

Answer #2    Answered By: Titus Sweet     Answered On: Oct 22

I don’t think the part about only affecting new sites is correct as I have turned it on and off in the past to temporarily allow people access via FrontPage (DVWP development needs) and haven’t experienced that limitation.

when the user tries to open the site in FrontPage 2003, they just receive a friendly error message that it is not allowed. Note this ONET change will not stop previous versions of FrontPage to be used to open sites.

Answer #3    Answered By: Jagdish Joshi     Answered On: Oct 22

The DisableWebDesignFeatures attribute of the Project element is a
hotspot in the ONET.XML file. The current settings will always be read
from the cached ONET.XML file for each site definition. Changes to this
attribute take effect the next time the application pool is recycled
(overnight by default).

Answer #4    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Oct 22

Interesting, I don't think we have ever altered application pool
recycling times (if that is how you would refer to that)... when I
update this in ONET and do an IIS reset, the changes are active then and

Answer #5    Answered By: Victoria Bell     Answered On: Oct 22

didn't know that an IIS Reset was needed either since I was under the impression that ONET was always read from in some manner when a page  was accessed.

Nonetheless, a little clarification. If a site has been "Frontpaged", i.e. unghosted (aye tis a sad day to remove the linens for us ghosts), it will cease to be able to be edited in FrontPage once the 'wdfopensite' attribute has been added to the ONET.xml.

Just wanted to make that clear so that anyone reading wouldn't think that if a site had been unghosted and wdfopensite was added that they'd continue to be able to edit it. If as a system administrator you wanted to then go in and start reghosting so that sites would adhere to the standard template you'd go and pull down something like ReGhost.NET or Ghost Hunter available at the following respectively:

Please note that both of these utilities will touch the database and are not supported by Microsoft -- use at your own risk. Typically I'll download a copy of a site via smigrate with a usermap generated using the WSS User Util (thanks Keith Richie!) and then reghost it on a separate development server  and then push it back up.

Answer #6    Answered By: Cassidy Sharpe     Answered On: Oct 22

another is that you can control what is and isn’t allowed to be done with FrontPage. For example backup, restore, import, theme application, etc.

For a full list of what you can disable and the values for each, go to this article and search on “Feature to Disable”. You will find a table about midway through the article with an explanation of the all the possible values.

Answer #7    Answered By: Linda Mason     Answered On: Oct 22

Most things cached by SharePoint can be cleared using the following
command (if you have Windows Server 2003):
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\iisapp.vbs /a
MSSharePointPortalAppPool /r

I don't remember is recycling the application pool
(MSSharePointPortalAppPool in my example above) will reset the ONET but
I think it will. You can also stop and start the application pool in the
IIS snap in or set it up to recycle on a cycle other than once every 24