Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

How to prevent SP List Items to being edited?

Asked By: Anila    Date: Jun 17    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3340

I have 10 column in my list.

Among for 10 columns 5 are coming from database and rest is manually inserted.

I want to prevent the first 5 column to being edited.

I mean those data fields which is being brought from dataset.

How can I do so?

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Nina Banks     Answered On: Jun 17

You can create a custom list  for this, and set the Field attributes to ReadOnly or ReadOnlyEnforced : msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms437580.aspx . (Depending on your exact needs)

Answer #2    Answered By: Ana Payne     Answered On: Jun 17

You will have to do that using Visual Studio. Here's an article: Creating List Definitions with Custom List Columns for SharePoint Server 2007 : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee871987(office.12).aspx.

Answer #3    Answered By: Dipesh Bhanani     Answered On: Jun 17

Your 5 columns  are coming  from DB so I assume you don't want them on New/Edit forms. You can enable content type on the list  and set these fields  as hidden. This is how you can achieve it Out-of-box.

Answer #4    Answered By: John Java     Answered On: Aug 12

SharePoint build in ITEM LEVEL permission comes to mind if you want to assign single permission on itmes. However, as you may know, it is not reliable at all.
I recommend you take a look at SharePoint column  View Permission which allows users to set different permissions on SharePoint list  columns: www.sharepointboost.com/columnpermission.html.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on How to prevent SP List Items to being edited? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.