Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Portal using SharePoint

Asked By: Jessie    Date: Oct 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 799

I am a final year student from NEDUET,Karachi,Pakistan . my group is building web portal for our department using sharepoint. Now-a-days we are in learing phase and collecting ideas that what we can include in our portal for example web-based e-mail system,test creating system,personalized calendar etc. portal will include accounts for teachers, students etc. can any of you give me more ideas??? Like what else can we do to make our project more worth able as it is our final year project .

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Elisa Santos     Answered On: Oct 08

You can create MySite,Configure search,People search and FBA

Answer #2    Answered By: Tatiana Houston     Answered On: Oct 08

How about creating  following:
1. Discussion Forums (Technical, Subject related, etc)
2. World News (use RSS feed from CNN, BBC, etc)
3. Search for some external sites that host subjects related to subject taught in your college (host this in a Page Viewer webpart).
4. How about having Calendar (for events happening in the college).
5. host a site (sub-site) with a custom list to host book names, etc.
6. host some e-books (that can help students to read some material owned by your college).
7. For more ideas  checkout this Miami Dade Public School casestudy here: www.microsoft.com/.../casestudy.aspx
which will lead to the site and that will give  you some more ideas.

Answer #3    Answered By: Arlene Hodge     Answered On: Oct 08

Portal for an education institute on SharePoint! Isn't it expensive? Will you guys be able to spend around 50-70 k USD every year?

Why not create a platform as a project  instead of using one?

Answer #4    Answered By: Jolene Sandoval     Answered On: Oct 08

Schools do get benefits for licensing cost, they have to talk their Account managers. Also with a new project  you will have build most of the stuff from SCRATCH, if you use MOSS you have things built into it and you can build on top of it thru customizations.

Also building  a platform from scratch is a big deal of planning and designing, instead using an established platform with lot of public forum and company supported SUPPORT makes more sense.

Answer #5    Answered By: Brandan Roach     Answered On: Oct 08

You can create a web  part from where students can ask questions on any subject i mean any doubts in any subject. Teachers will see all these questions and can reply.
You can use list for doing this. Their will be 2 list which will be inter dependent.
It can be called queries by students web part.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Portal using SharePoint Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: