Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Personal Site (MySite) Restore

Asked By: Rey    Date: Apr 11    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3262

I am trying to restore a user’s personal site (MySite) to another server using Smigrate commands. It tells me that the operation was successful, but it doesn’t appear to restore the site. The weird thing is that if I create a subweb on the personal site, I can backup/restore it perfectly but not the top-level site. Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions for backing up and restoring a personal site?

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: Apr 11

do you have portal services loaded on the second server? if you haven't tried to create  a mysite  on the destination server, i would verify that first. if above is true, it should work.

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Apr 11

Supported scenarios for using the Stsadm.exe command-line tool to back up and to restore  Windows SharePoint Services Web sites and personal  sites in SharePoint Portal Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889236/en-us

Answer #3    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Apr 11

One little blurb in that article explains it for me:

“To enable full functionality of the personal  site, restore  the personal site  to the same portal site that was associated with the personal site when you originally performed the backup operation. If you only want to recover data from the personal site and you do not require full functionality of the personal site, you can restore the personal site to any virtual server.”

I am restoring  to a different portal site; so therefore, the personal site does not have full functionality.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Personal Site (MySite) Restore Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: