Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Performance Monitor

Asked By: Sanchay    Date: Apr 21    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1508

Any suggestions, ideas to monitor SPS 2003 box, with 10 portals on the box with 1300 subsites.....

Performance Monitor in real time, some web part that I can use to display stats in real time on my SPS ...?

Share: 

10 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Isidro Berger     Answered On: Apr 21

What kind of monitoring are you doing?

Answer #2    Answered By: Schuyler Le     Answered On: Apr 21

User complains - site slow to access.

I will try to post the background of this whole project asap. I believe its ghosting issue that is slowing the performance...

Answer #3    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Apr 21

in this case monitoring sharepoint with sharepoint would only add to "monitoring
overhead".

may i suggest using another server with IIS and doing some WMI queries to the
sharepoint envionment. a good starting point is http://snmpboy.msft.net/. you
can hook up a page viewer web part and display a graph on a CEWP/PVWP.

our little dashboard looks quite nice, actually. i couple the performance
monitor graphs with the reporting services (a lot of pvwp's).

let me know what you think of that solution.

Answer #4    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Apr 21

Might sound silly, but if I wanted to do
this, how do i?

Answer #5    Answered By: Willard Valenzuela     Answered On: Apr 21

The web is generally not real-time as your browser is served up to a remote client. While you can minimize post-backs (communications with the server) using technology like Atlas/Ajax, it’s not real-time. There are ways to get pseudo real-time information but it usually requires an ActiveX control that will stream information from the server. Basically while the web may be dynamic, it’s far from real-time and not worth the effort to try to make it.

As for stats, there are built-in tools on your server to monitor  things like CPU utilization, requests per second, etc. Check out the following pages on monitoring information for SharePoint using it:

www.microsoft.com/.../wssipo4m.mspx

www.microsoft.com/.../stsg04.mspx

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/050825.htm

The last one is probably the fast track solution to what you’re looking for.

Answer #6    Answered By: Allison Stewart     Answered On: Apr 21

Appreciate the links. Yes I have already seen the last one. I have setup counters as per best practice, however, I am looking at being able to bring this information up in a possibly a html repor, for easy retrieval by management!

Reason: Users are complaining that our site access is really slow!!

Need to find the cause and sort out the issue.

Answer #7    Answered By: Emmett Hyde     Answered On: Apr 21

I understand although the performance  monitor is going to provide you with all the information you need to solve any bottlenecks or performance issues (short of buying a third party tool or hiring someone to come in and do it for you). It’s a bit of a black art in finding problems as there are so many moving parts in performance issues, it’s not just “throw more memory at it” or “buy a bigger disk” type solution. When you say the users are complaining it’s slow, you also need to validate that statement with what slow means as it can be many things to many people. There are also factors outside of SharePoint and even the server that can cause bottlenecks like routing on your network and even how much of a pipe you have going to your clients. Performance management is generally not a report you print out to let management decide what to do, you as an IT guy need to collect whatever data points are relevant and make recommendations or decisions based on it. You can certainly provide reports and whatnot, but I find creating charts of CPU performance for management generally doesn’t say anything.

I would suggest you start with the built-in performance tools and if you need to, you can setup ACT to do simulation testing and provide you with stats. The trick is that those numbers mean nothing unless you use them to decipher where the problems can be. There’s no “HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM à” type report that will tell you what’s wrong. It’s more like 93% collection, 6% load testing, 4% analyzing, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Answer #8    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Apr 21

We are an isp in itself, being department of education, providing network services to close to 1300 state schools all over Queensland.

As regards the 'pipe' thats not really the issue. We offer host of other web services and havent had issues.

Server is well speced..and you are right, slow can mean whole range of possibilities...

So all in all, I will monitor  the server as per best practice artcile from 15seconds, have stats as you suggested and prepare a report. Thats the norm, however, I was wondering if there was a webpart, that managers could themselves get info from.

Answer #9    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Apr 21

Darrin Bishop did some work in the area of troubleshooting performance.
Does anyone know where his article can be found?

Answer #10    Answered By: Jaime Weaver     Answered On: Apr 21

take a look at the snmpboy.msft.net example cfg

google : wmi mrtg

http://bmonday.com/articles/788.aspx is a good example

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Performance Monitor Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: