MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Page layout does not update correctly

Asked By: Madhu    Date: Mar 15    Category: MOSS    Views: 1541

I was updating page layouts, in MOSS, to contain preview images for each one of them. But when I upgrade the solution and activate the feature no preview images were available in the 'Create Page" section. I also updated the descriptive text for each page layout but nothing happened. I've checked the files in FEATURE directory to see if they were updated by looking at the time stamp. And they are indeed updated here. But when I check the time stamp in the Master page gallery the time stamp is not updated. I've also checked the Preview Image directory in Master page gallery to see if the preview images were uploaded. And they are uploaded correctly.

None of the page layouts are customized. I used Becky Bertrams quick script : blog.beckybertram.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=9 to perform this check. I've also tried changing some of the HTML of the page layouts to check if it were updated. All HTML changes are updated as expected.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Janell Camacho     Answered On: Mar 15

The reason of the behavior you described might be that because the old version of the Page Layout already exists in the Master Page and Page Layout Gallery, SharePoint skips the whole File element and none of your changes are being provisioned.
You are seeing the changes in the content of the Page Layout because the Page Layout hasn't been customized. Like this SharePoint contains only a pointer to the .aspx file stored on the file system which contains the actual - updated  Page Layout. Also the images  are being provisioned as they haven't existed before.

In order to confirm the above try to do the following: delete the Page Layout from the Master Page and Page Layout gallery  and activate  your Feature. The correct behavior would be that the new version of Page Layout including the preview  images should be provisioned.

If the above is correct the only way for you to update  the Page Layout's metadata would be to do that programmatically. Please keep in mind that that would cause customizing the Page Layout.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Page layout does not update correctly Or get search suggestion and latest updates.