Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

OT - Client System RAM rqmt

Asked By: Ernie    Date: Nov 17    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 676

I’m seeing very poor performance when using WSS in IE6 on our organization’s spec xp pro machine (2 GHz proc, 256mb ram). Is anyone else getting good WSS/IE performance at a similar machine spec?

My initial reaction was to scale up ram to 512mb, but my pc tech area doesn’t think that will help, and let’s just say that I don’t agree with that.

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Stephon Valentine     Answered On: Nov 17

I’d recommend a Gig of ram… But the short of it is have they done any performance  monitoring on the box to see how many page faults it’s generating per second. That configuration I’d expect no more than 50-100 pages/sec sustained for good  performance. Also, is MSDE on the same box? Another way to look at this is to open task manager and look at the available ram  on the box… I’d suggest you want at least 32 MB of available RAM at all times. (I generally run servers w/ more but then again they’re actually on server hardware.)

Answer #2    Answered By: Leif Cardenas     Answered On: Nov 17

If we’re talking about a client, I’d still check the same things… Paging and available memory … I just had missed that you were talking about the clients here… Same process. Make sure it’s not paging.

Answer #3    Answered By: Jasper Hatfield     Answered On: Nov 17

Are you running WSS on the XP client  (not even sure this is possible), or
just accessing a WSS server from the client?

WSS should be installed on Windows Server 2003, any version. Requirements
for the server are 256 MB minimum, 512 recommended. You might check that IIS
6.0 is configured for worker process isolation mode. Also try accessing the
server from another client and from another account. This will tell you
quickly if the problem is your profile, your workstation, or the WSS server.
There shouldn't be any issues with running the browser interface on a client
with 256 MB, unless you have other applications consuming your RAM.

Answer #4    Answered By: Rashawn Hopper     Answered On: Nov 17

Just an FYI, I'm running WSS on a 600 mhz Pentium with 384mb of ram  and Server 2003.

While it's not a screamer, it's running fairly well, much better than I expected.

Answer #5    Answered By: Horace Coffey     Answered On: Nov 17

I'd definitely run the local out of the box monitoring tools that come with XP while you interact with WSS and see where the bottleneck (processor, disk, network). That's the best place to start.

Answer #6    Answered By: Rigoberto Beard     Answered On: Nov 17

You must run WSS on Windows Server 2003. It cannot not run on XP or any
other OS.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on OT - Client System RAM rqmt Or get search suggestion and latest updates.