Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Opening Sharepoint to Extranet(Internet)

Asked By: Akeem    Date: Apr 10    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1453

Can anyone suggest me the steps to open sharepoint portal to internet, and also what are the security issues to be considered when portal opened to internet.

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Agustin Miranda     Answered On: Apr 10

Checkout the following sharepoint  extranet information on http://www.micrososft.com:

Answer #2    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: Apr 10

The steps  are really not hard – just methodical. All you need to do is turn on anonymous access to the portal  and allow people into your portal. I think licensing is the larger issue – do you have a license for everyone who will connect to your portal? If not, you’ll need an external connector license for both SPS03 and W2K03 in order to be in compliance.

Answer #3    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: Apr 10

Would you mind elaborating on your response?

I have a client that will be using SPS for their Intranet, and will be accessible only to their employees. However, within their Intranet portal, they will have a series of team sites, which they will expose to their clients.

Will they need to get SPS03 licenses for both their employees and for their clients, or will it be sufficient to get W2k03 licenses only for their clients?

Answer #4    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: Apr 10

You used Intranet in both instances.
Which sites are exposed to the Extranet/Internet?
Are the WSS sites top-level sites within the portal  or standalone WSS sites that
are only crawled
(indexed) by the portal?

Answer #5    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Apr 10

AIUI, if the sites are part of a portal  implementation, then you’ll need portal licenses. I think this is defined by the farm boundaries, not the virtual server boundaries – though I could be wrong. Best practice here is to check with your MS rep on this.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Opening Sharepoint to Extranet(Internet) Or get search suggestion and latest updates.