Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Open documents in the program instead of browser window

Asked By: Devan    Date: May 01    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 9890

How do you make the documents in SPS 2003 open in the appropriate
program window, instead of using the same browser window ?

Is this a client configuration? or a server configuration?

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Agustin Miranda     Answered On: May 01

I believe that you could make a simple change to the Document Library
Schema.XML file to indicate a target of _blank when anyone clicks on a
document link. Let me know if you need step by step instructions.

Answer #2    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: May 01

I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Sonia would like the document to open  in the native program  window instead of a browser  window, e.g. a Visio document opening in Visio instead of in the browser window  if the user has a copy of Visio on their machine.

I'd like to know the definitive answer to this question as well. I believe that "choice" may be governed by the individual user's browser settings and NOT by Share Point, which makes it tough to standardize the response when you click on the doc.

Answer #3    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: May 01

That option is available in the drop menu as "Open with (Word)"
rather than just clicking the document link.

Answer #4    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: May 01

The setting is in the web browser, not SharePoint. The default varies based on different environments (version of browser, version of OS, version of Office) so there’s no golden rule but here’s the instructions for XP:

Go to Explorer (not Internet Explorer) (or My Computer)
Under the Tools menu choose Folder Options
Click on the File Types tab
Find the file extension you want to modify (say DOC for Microsoft Word Document)
Click on the Advanced Button
In the Edit File Type deselect “Browse in same window” for the Edit or Open actions (or all of them if you prefer)

This will force it to launch a new (Word) window  no matter where the source of the document comes from (say a doclib in a browser). I know there’s a blog out on this but can’t find it (but will blog myself with some pictures for those that want them).

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Open documents in the program instead of browser window Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: