Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Open documents in the program instead of browser window

Asked By: Vaughn    Date: Jan 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3931

True, but that only works if the "Name, with Edit Menu" is part of your view. Many "webpart" views are simply links to the document, or if the link is sent out in an email, you don't have the option to tell it to open in the native doc format. What I would like is a default setting/rule that enforces "every time I open a document stored in Share Point, open it in the native document format if it is available on my machine. If it is NOT available, open it with a "viewer" or in my Web browser. If those options are not possible, then throw an error saying "you can't open this kind of document""

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Matt Prince     Answered On: Jan 22

One way of changing this behaviour so that the document  opens in the native  application window  is to change the setting for the file type in Windows.

In Windows Explorer go to Folder Options. On the File Types tab choose the relevant file type such as doc  for Microsoft Word. Click the Advanced button and for the open  action ensure that "Browse in same window" is set off.

Answer #2    Answered By: Brooks Bond     Answered On: Jan 22

This solution (also suggested by Bil) works  for most file extensions.
TXT and PDF files (maybe others) still open  in the browser  and I don't
see how you get around that.

Answer #3    Answered By: Gregg Wilkinson     Answered On: Jan 22

TXT will always open  in the browser  (but see below for a way to get around that). PDFs open in the browser because when you install the Reader it installs a Browser Helper Object that will embed the PDF in the browser for you.

I was able to install Acrobat (writer) and remove the browser add-in so when I launched a PDF from a SharePoint site, it would ask me what I wanted to do. When I replied “Computer, please open this file” it launched the full version of Acrobat and not the reader.

You *can* bypass *any* extension by creating your own COM control on the server and register it with that extension (this will only work from a SharePoint site). Check out the GotDotNet workspace for SharePad on how to do this.

www.gotdotnet.com/.../workspace.aspx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Open documents in the program instead of browser window Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: