Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

No My Site

Asked By: Kari    Date: Oct 20    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 641

How do you delete the MY SITE option on SPS? We do not want to offer this on our Extranet. Is this possible?

10 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Oct 20

You can always hide the My Site option  using the style sheet....Tip from blog

Answer #2    Answered By: Megan Martin     Answered On: Oct 20

Or you can change the Reader or User’s group rights (uncheck creating personal site  option)

Answer #3    Answered By: Donta Kirkland     Answered On: Oct 20

Do you plan on allowing alerts? Something to note is that if you do allow alerts, they will use the My site  to manage their alerts. You can change the site group permissions as Vamsi noted in order to stop them from doing anything else with their My Site (house documents and lists).

If alerts or access to alerts through My Site is not a concern, I suggest hiding the link via CSS, as noted earlier.

Answer #4    Answered By: Cade Velazquez     Answered On: Oct 20

Yes My sites would not be a concerns. I guess they could manage their alerts in Outlook instead of relying on the My Site

Answer #5    Answered By: Ariana Christensen     Answered On: Oct 20

You can’t stop them from accessing My Site, when they select to manage their alerts, it will go to the limited version of My Site. It technically isn’t a personal site, but it is branded as such, hence the confusing scenario.

Answer #6    Answered By: Darrius Whitfield     Answered On: Oct 20

Just remove two permissions:
Create Personal Sites

Use Personal Sites

Doing this will essentially turn off personal portals. You can’t really delete  them – they’re too nested in the platform code.

Answer #7    Answered By: Adrienne Greene     Answered On: Oct 20

Not necessarily true. They can manage their alerts from the Rules and Alerts feature in Outlook 2003.

Answer #8    Answered By: Joshuah Huber     Answered On: Oct 20

Both portal and wss alerts can be managed through outlook.

Answer #9    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Oct 20

Yes I know but you can’t stop them from managing them in SharePoint. That will always be there.

Answer #10    Answered By: Keenan Whitehead     Answered On: Oct 20

We plan on just education them in house to manage their site  in Outlook instead of on the My Site.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on No My Site Or get search suggestion and latest updates.