Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Network configuration

Asked By: Karen    Date: Mar 15    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 781

Does anyone have, or know of, a post regarding ideal network configuration for a medium farm? My question is around the number of NIC's - should there be multiple NIC's, each dedicated pipes to other farm components, or does that type configuration offer no benefit to the function / speed of the application?

I have 2 seperate farms, with different numbers of users accessing each so I'm open to any suggestions and input.

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Mar 15

As far as I have seen, there isn't much benefit between having each component with a direct connection to the other ones. So long as all "application" components  (web, search, index) are all on the same LAN segment, they should communicate pretty well. Keep an eye on the router's config though, to make sure you aren't blocking a needed port or protocol. My current farm(s) communicate well across the network, and I only utilize one NIC per device (of course we've got fiber to the SAN for the database server). Unless you are designing a site that will have hundreds of thousands of users  accessing all the time, your standard gigabit ethernet card will handle all the traffic you need. Plus, avoid NLB at all costs with SPSv2...if you use a lot of custom web parts it tends to get a bit messy (from personal experience). That is why I don't use it anymore. :D Besides, a single front end web server can handle one heck of a lot of traffic anyway.

Answer #2    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Mar 15

Just curious; does NLB affect custom Web parts in general or just if one node experiences an outage? The last place I had NLB, the NLB management piece used an algorithm to decide which node to hit, based on requesting IP address, if all were available and obviously to the one running if only one were available. But, there were no "custom" Web parts in that environment, just a lot of sites and virtual servers.

Answer #3    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Mar 15

So, you're below statement causes some concern as this seems to be the recommended configuration  from Microsoft. What kind of issues did you encounter with NLB? We're in the process of setting up a medium  farm and our two WFE's are configured to use NLB.

Answer #4    Answered By: Deven Ghurye     Answered On: Mar 15

As a data point, I've been running a WSS site for two years with four WFEs using
NLB and we haven't found any issues that were related to NLB. Out of curiosity,
what problems does it cause?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Network configuration Or get search suggestion and latest updates.