Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

NET 2.0 Platform Check

Asked By: Claude    Date: Aug 30    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 880

So I am coding away today on my development server here at work (as opposed to the one at home -- geesh that says it all eh?). I go to use a GridView and it is not there. Its a .NET (ASP.NET) 2.0 thing.

Question, should I have updated my sharepoint development server to .NET 2.0? Damn, its been a long time since I installed this stuff. Well, maybe not that long, but I am old, so I can't remember stuff so well. Do I just install .NET 2.0 Redistributable and the .NET 2.0 SDK? That installs ASP.NET 2.0?

Server is W2003 and Sharepoint 2003 all most recent service patches.

The next question of the day of the day is obviously "Do I upgrade to visual studio 2005??" and then "Do I upgrade to SQLServer 2005?"

I am thinking yes on all accounts except maybe for SQL 2005.

It is tough being old or maybe being old enough that you are useful in lots of areas so that you get drug around -- been doing Tablet PC stuff lately and I love that thing.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Alphonso Mckay     Answered On: Aug 30

From what I've been able to determine and been told Sharepoint works ok with ASP.Net 2.0 once you make the changes in this KB: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

But upgrading a Portal Server is not supported. Having said that it may be possible to do it, then set the Portal Server to be run under ASP.Net 1.1. The one problem I see with that is you still won't be able to use the ASP.Net 2.0 controls and features on the portal site, but you would be able to use it on the Sharepoint Sites below it.

Answer #2    Answered By: Daron Oneill     Answered On: Aug 30

You know I was playing with the same thing  after researching this further. While I agree with what you wrote below, I imagine that the administrators of the production server  that houses SPS and STS wouldn't be able to handle it. So I guess I will stay with .NET 1.1, VS 2003 etc etc.

So I seem to be stuck with DataGrid for now and not the new GridView. There is a page on msdn that shows how to mimic a GridView using a DataGrid, so probably I can get similar functionality with a little well placed and called library code that processes all applicable datagrids prior to display. I was going to do this anyway to ensure consistent formatting coded one place, so its not a big deal.

Answer #3    Answered By: M Juarez     Answered On: Aug 30

I kind of come to the same conclusion, V3 will have the ASP.Net 2.0 support, and since the beta is coming out soon, we'll probably just wait for that now.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on NET 2.0 Platform Check Or get search suggestion and latest updates.