MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Navigation in WSS V3

Asked By: Sanchay    Date: Mar 22    Category: MOSS    Views: 682

I’m working on my first WSS-only version of a V3 project. Everything I’ve done to date has been either MOSS 2007 or the two flavors of V2 (2003).

I’m having some difficulty understanding how the navigation works in the WSS version versus the MOSS version. I’m trying to get the main navigation menu to display sub-sites as drop-downs, the same way I’ve been able to get it to work in MOSS, but I seem to be missing something.

I’ve read through several of the blogs as well as the MS documentation on customizing the navigation, and they all point to modifying the SharePoint:AspMenu tag in the default.master page. Specifically, the staticDisplayLevels and MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels properties of the tag. While that change works in MOSS, it doesn’t seem to have any effect in WSS.

Also, I’ve noticed that Site Settings in MOSS includes options for Navigation Options and Navigation Settings, whereas the WSS-only version has just the option for Navigation Options.

Is there something I’m missing? Has anyone been able to do dynamic menus with the OOB functionality of WSS v3? Or am I looking at either writing something myself or trying to find an add-on somewhere?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Mar 22

You are not missing anything WSS only navigation  is limited to a WSS Style navigation. MOSS Navigation is more sophisticated with more options available for customization.

When a WSS site is created within a MOSS site collection it will inherit the navigation settings available in MOSS.

Answer #2    Answered By: Renee Murray     Answered On: Mar 22

I only work with WSS v3 (not MOSS) and changing the SharePoint:AspMenu tag StaticDisplayLevels and MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels properties on the Master Page produce flyout menus.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Navigation in WSS V3 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.