Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Multiple simultaneous editing possible on a single doc?

Asked By: Lillian    Date: Mar 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2400

One of the requirements and I cant find a clear answer. There is too mcuh to sort through on the internet. Google Docs offer the ability and the document is tagged with their username to show who's responsible for the edit. The last part is no so much of a big deal as multiple people being able to edit a single doc at one time in a way that Google Docs does. Our users are trying to unilaterally sign up and start posting company data on the internet.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: David Scott     Answered On: Mar 13

No, with SharePoint, only one user at a time  can work on a doc  within a doc library. You use check-out/check-in to show  ownership and lock down the doc to avoid overwrites or integrity issues.

A workaround is to work on separate copies of the doc in the same library and use the Word 2007 ability  to "combine" docs, but that's not the same as simultaneous  editing of the same doc. Office 2010 will allow for concurrent editing...

Answer #2    Answered By: Lakeshia Gould     Answered On: Mar 13

is this sufficient?

"The Office 2010 clients have been publicly disclosed and are not under a confidentiality obligation. You are free to talk about the Office 2010 client build as you wish. Please remember that the builds you have received are for your use only. Please do not share these builds."

That's what MS has put on the MS Connect site for those of us on the Office 2010 Technical Preview. The information I stated is within the documentation I've downloaded as part  of the preview, but I can't link to it, and I didn't plan on disseminating the docs.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Multiple simultaneous editing possible on a single doc? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.